Skip to main content

I Saw It (6 Points)

 There's one thing that really gets my blood boiling, and that would be war. Stories from war that depict the truth behind it- the lives we lose to war, the carnage of the lands it's touched, the ever lasting effects on those who are exposed to the harmful shock, bombings, gas, etc. Everything about war just adds into the sick and twisted desires of those who orchestrate it. I would say that that is just my personal opinion on the matter, but I think these stories introduce the proof that nothing good comes out of war.

Keiji Nakasawa does a beautiful job of illustrating the misfortune he experienced during the WWII era. It really hits me hard knowing that Hiroshima was a city filled with people who had their own lives and were just barely managing to get by. And for what... just so we can destroy it all? I feel so bad for Keiji and his family, and for anyone who was affected by the war in any way. The grief he must have felt- or in fact lack there-of due to his and his mother's shock, must have been excruciating. I'm just so glad that he did what he set out to do- to educate those on the reality of what happened in Hiroshima and how it affected him and everyone around him.

I actually looked up what the victims of the bomb looked like because Nakasawa's depiction of them looking like zombies seemed almost far-fetched, but I found other artist's renditions that looked almost verbatim of Keiji's artwork. They walked like zombies; their flesh falling off as they beg for water... I can't imagine. It's so outlandish to think that's what they had to experience, that it doesn't seem real, but it is. It's a part of history, and it's engrained in their minds forever.

If anything were to come form this, I think Nakasawa made the best decision he could by educating others of the experience and promoting anti-war sentiments. I think it's important to know how much it affected innocent civilians they try to make us think are our enemies. I hope that some day we can truly find peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Point Total (93)

FINAL total - 93 points Midterm total   __________________________     - 40 points My Friend Dahmer                                                    - 5 points     Class                                                                     - 1 point     Angel's Hill                                                          - 5 points     Toilet-Bound Hanako-Kun                                  - 6 points ...

Suicide Boy (6)

This one was something. I saw the title of it and said, "Alright what the hell is this." I don't know how I feel about this comic! I liked it, but also I felt weird reading it because it was subtly horny and you could TELL. Which is very confusing especially since it's supposed to be talking about serious stuff like self-harm and depression. Like I would be reading it and enjoying it's strange dark humor, but then there would be random really suggestive stuff happening to the main character who is a suicidal TEENAGER and I would feel super gross. Somehow I read the entire thing through to it's up-to-date issue, because I really wanted the main character to get better and you know, have character development with the friends he made, but there's something off here. I literally just googled the title and suggestive pictures of the main character came up, I don't know how I avoided this until right now since whatever I saw was much less obvious, but there...

My Brother's Husband (5)

 This. This is what representation looks like, not yaoi. This is not a romanticized work, although the bara men are very obviously the author's forte. This is fictional, yes, but one of the most wholesome representations of the gay community. I'm actually really glad Yaichi was homophobic at the beginning because a lot of the plot was centered around changing his ideals and considering the view of those around him. Lot's of great character development! I'm also so glad he included Kana because I read somewhere that said this really well- children learn discrimination from the adults around them. It's a thing they are taught and not something that they inherently believe unless told differently. So I'm genuinely so glad Kana was there to be an unbiased character who steers Yaichi in the better direction to understanding people who are not like him. Mike is just a big lovely man... I love how human he is. "He's not a thing," like Yaichi mentioned in ...