Skip to main content

Angel's Hill (5)

 I wasn't sure how I felt about this comic when I started reading it considering it starts with Luna being executed and put into slavery... But it really grew on me the more I read. I started identifying themes and morals the story was trying to tell. Luna is the epitome of a kind person. She doesn't let Byouma die even whens he was trying to kill her for the entirety of the comic. She thinks everyone is a person with a life and soul and no one should be hurt if she can help it.

I really appreciate the character exposition and growth we see from each of the characters as well. Eiji just wants to live his own life and resents his family in the beginning but once their father is assassinated and his mother is left to live in a much more humble home, he is reminded of how much family means to him. This goes for the entirety of the Kusuhara family- each of them is reminded what family really means by the end of the story, and despite them having next to nothing- it doesn't matter to them because they have each other. I also really appreciate how most side characters treat Luna. I genuinely thought it was going to be weird and rape-y (Oh Japan, why do you do that so much that I've come to expect it?) but they were all very caring for her and just wanted to protect as if she was their daughter. Like Fuguhei who helps her in the end and she in return makes sure him and Eiji get out alive.

This manga is the pinnacle of Shoujo manga, but that doesn't mean that it's not interesting. I was genuinely taken aback when it was reveal that Byouma was Pirene's mother the entire time and the whole reason she wanted to take over the island was so she could give it to him... I was sad that we didn't get to hear more of Pirene's story. He was a very interesting character who only had a lot of screen time at the end. But I really did love this manga! It was super fun in a wholesome way. There's a lot things now-a-days that rely on shock factor and how much they can make you experience something rated R, but I'm glad this story wasn't like that. I was just a story being told about characters, there was any gorey death or NSFW content which honestly... Is a breath of fresh air. Not that I haven't seen those things be done well before, but they're usually thrown into things that do not need it i.e. Netflix's adaption of Death Note. I'm very glad this was a consolidated story that was meant to just... be fun.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Point Total (93)

FINAL total - 93 points Midterm total   __________________________     - 40 points My Friend Dahmer                                                    - 5 points     Class                                                                     - 1 point     Angel's Hill                                                          - 5 points     Toilet-Bound Hanako-Kun                                  - 6 points ...

Suicide Boy (6)

This one was something. I saw the title of it and said, "Alright what the hell is this." I don't know how I feel about this comic! I liked it, but also I felt weird reading it because it was subtly horny and you could TELL. Which is very confusing especially since it's supposed to be talking about serious stuff like self-harm and depression. Like I would be reading it and enjoying it's strange dark humor, but then there would be random really suggestive stuff happening to the main character who is a suicidal TEENAGER and I would feel super gross. Somehow I read the entire thing through to it's up-to-date issue, because I really wanted the main character to get better and you know, have character development with the friends he made, but there's something off here. I literally just googled the title and suggestive pictures of the main character came up, I don't know how I avoided this until right now since whatever I saw was much less obvious, but there...

Understanding Comics (3 Points)

 In sophomore year, we had to read parts of this book so we could understand how to storyboard/make animatics better. I'm excited to be able to read the entirety now, as it was amazingly helpful before! Not sure if counts, but here is the comic project I made sophomore year using parts of the book as reference on how to create each shot. It was made with an ink brush and took ~5 days to complete (and so much ink). It was on poster paper, so it was ~30 x 20 inches as well. What I loved about this book, is that it teaches you things about comics you never think about unless you plan on creating them. Things I understood without knowing the context behind them, finally started to make sense after reading Scott's witty, easily digestible explanation of why comics are structured like how they are.  I think a great topical take-away was his description of word/picture combinations. We talked about wordless comics last week, but knowing when to use words to control the reader's fo...