Skip to main content

My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness (5)

 I usually love media that expresses emotion. Emotion is one of my favorite things that we have as humans, and this manga made me feel a lot. I could relate a lot to the character in terms of depression and anxiety, but I also felt like I learned a lot about myself reading it. I think that was the author's indirect intention. She had such a hard time understanding her own thoughts, feelings, and emotions, that she ended up expelling all of the pent up anxiety about it into her work; this indirectly lets readers experience what life looks like in her eyes, and ends up making them sympathize/empathize with her a lot easier. That's what I assume at least, because that's what happened to me. Figuring out your life without having your expectations of your parents is no easy feat and something I can relate to very much. I'm really hoping she's feeling a lot better than when she started, although I'm aware mental illness is an inherent and chronic struggle for the rest of your life.

In terms of whether it was literary or not- I would say it is. She even states in the manga that she was writing was a kind of essay, and it's pretty much an auto-biography of her life and how she's dealing with her mental health. I think we should all read things of this nature. Things like this that deal with heavy emotions and the human psyche. She mentions her parents not understanding her struggle at all, and I think that's exactly it. I'm sure in Japan it could be a lot more different that what I know, but it's true that no matter where you are in the world, mental health is stigmatized to such a degree that a lot of people bend over backwards being unhappy because that's what's perceived as 'normal'. Not letting your kid have dreams of their own or having inaccessible expectations for them really hinders their growth into adulthood, and I think the author proved that very well. She was blind about how she was acting for 28 years! She had no answers and no one to help her because they didn't think she was 'normal'. I understand that she also could've been leaning on others too much, and she even suggests that, but even still there are so many people I know (even my own mother) who just don't understand anything we're going through and say "why are you like that" without even beginning to try to understand the other person. 

It's works like this that I find beautiful even if she was being comical in presentation sometimes. It's such a serious issue we have as a society, and I'm so glad that she (in her own screwed and wacky way) found happiness and calling and is finally living for herself. I'm definitely looking into the author's other works, I loved how raw this felt and I would love to support her.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Point Total (93)

FINAL total - 93 points Midterm total   __________________________     - 40 points My Friend Dahmer                                                    - 5 points     Class                                                                     - 1 point     Angel's Hill                                                          - 5 points     Toilet-Bound Hanako-Kun                                  - 6 points ...

Suicide Boy (6)

This one was something. I saw the title of it and said, "Alright what the hell is this." I don't know how I feel about this comic! I liked it, but also I felt weird reading it because it was subtly horny and you could TELL. Which is very confusing especially since it's supposed to be talking about serious stuff like self-harm and depression. Like I would be reading it and enjoying it's strange dark humor, but then there would be random really suggestive stuff happening to the main character who is a suicidal TEENAGER and I would feel super gross. Somehow I read the entire thing through to it's up-to-date issue, because I really wanted the main character to get better and you know, have character development with the friends he made, but there's something off here. I literally just googled the title and suggestive pictures of the main character came up, I don't know how I avoided this until right now since whatever I saw was much less obvious, but there...

Understanding Comics (3 Points)

 In sophomore year, we had to read parts of this book so we could understand how to storyboard/make animatics better. I'm excited to be able to read the entirety now, as it was amazingly helpful before! Not sure if counts, but here is the comic project I made sophomore year using parts of the book as reference on how to create each shot. It was made with an ink brush and took ~5 days to complete (and so much ink). It was on poster paper, so it was ~30 x 20 inches as well. What I loved about this book, is that it teaches you things about comics you never think about unless you plan on creating them. Things I understood without knowing the context behind them, finally started to make sense after reading Scott's witty, easily digestible explanation of why comics are structured like how they are.  I think a great topical take-away was his description of word/picture combinations. We talked about wordless comics last week, but knowing when to use words to control the reader's fo...